Monday, July 28, 2008

Getting Over Student Debt

As a college student I should be accustomed to debt. After all, it's only natural that college students have way too much to handle to eat anything other than expensive fast food. Not to mention I'm driving in luxury with my Hybrid 2005 Honda Civic. Perhaps I should put things in perspective for myself.

Currently, I owe roughly $21,000. This includes about $15,000 towards my car, and another $6,000 on credit cards. Sadly, that's a lot of money... more than I want it to be. I'll soon be getting about $1200 as a refund from my subsidized student loan, which will help a little. I'll also be paid $1000 for a new position I've taken on in a student organization. But still, I'll have to keep up with payments on my card and credit cards throughout college.

Then, I keep reminding myself what everyone else owes. My friend, let's call him J, owes roughly $50,000 or at least he will in the end. But lucky for J, he gets to visit Rome and Shanghai for an entire semester of study abroad. That might only cost about $20,000, though, leaving him with a $30,000 deficit there. And he won't leave college with a nearly paid-off car, also.

Fortunately, the field I'm studying is also very lucrative at the moment. I study computer programming, emphasizing website design. I'm a master at Ruby on Rails, and I also have experience in a myriad of web technology. I administer my own linux server, I've used SVN, and I'm decent at graphic design. I even have the perfect student job in my field, which will greatly enhance my resume when looking at future employers. In the end, I'm in the money.

No comments: